Friday, October 8, 2010

Free Write: Religion

Religion is an issue of extreme controversy. For years, people have had to decide whether they believe God is real or simply unreal. I believe this topic has been so controversial because for many people, religion is one of the biggest ways humans define their identity; for many it is their most fundamental idea of who they are. Once you have defined your identity, anyone who disagrees with you is a threat to your being. One of the ways people defend themselves in this context is persuasion; this leads to groups of people debating about the topics of religion.

I personally do not believe in a God. I am considered to be an Atheist. Throughout the coarse of my life, I have never exposed myself to religion. I suppose that is why I feel God does not exist. I feel that the choices of religion are all based on the environment you are constantly exposed to throughout your life. For example, if your parents believe in God, they will most-likely teach you to believe in God too; I was never taught to believe in God, hence my belief. I do not feel that you can find God; I feel that you can be taught to find him.

Although I feel this way, I still see religion as a a source of morals and guidelines to follow throughout your life, and also hope. In the many religious books, there are usually stories that promote the ideas of morals and teach you ways to live life "properly." I also believe religion is a source of hope for many. For the people who are religious, it gives people comfort that when they die, they will go to a better place. Many people say religion allows you to go to heaven. I completely disagree with this. Even though I do not believe in God, I do not believe I am going to hell. I feel that religion in this context is simply being used as a way to persuade people to believe in God. 

I despise when people use religion in their own benefit. In many instances, it has been used in ways to control people's lives. When in history class, Mr. Fargher has emphasized this point time and time again. Also, religion can have many negative impacts when used to promote the ideas of something incorrectly.
For example, religion has been used to justify the holocaust, promote the idea that being gay is wrong, start wars, and many other negative instances. Religion should never be used like this; It is wrong and immoral.

What is your opinion on religion? I would be extremely interested to know and learn different opinions as  to your belief in God, what they feel religion is used for, ect. . Also, please do not take my opinion on religion negatively. It is my belief and opinion. If you wish to tell me what you feel, respond to my post. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment