Sunday, March 27, 2011

Extra Credit Bog Post

1. I feel that the dialogue helpfully contributes to the story's growth of the relationship between Dorthy and Adrian. It allowed me to understand both of them much more easily. It also allowed me to see the progress of their relationship, e.g. if their was still tenseness between them or not. Basically, it allows me to discover new things about the individual characters, and more in particular, the development of the relationship between Dorthy and Adrian.
2. I thought the explanation of the Filipinio folklore was very interesting. This is because it brought a whole new level to the story. From what I learned, Dorthy was the decedent of a Filipino god, and Adrian was a vampire who needed to protect her from another group of people(not humans, one of whom I am guessing is the blond haired, green eyed white person who liked Dorthy at the beginning of the story.). The problem with this is that it reminds me way to much of a mix between Twilight and Percy Jackson and the Olympions.
3. Her reaction does seem realistic. It adds on the the story's progress throughout the plot. As stated earlier before Adrian told the folklore, Dorthy needed to discover who she was. It leads on to Dorthy researching into these stories and discovering more about them and the relation with them to maybe her and her family. She also might discover who Adrian is. Again, the problem with this is that it reminds me way to much of Twilight.
4. The cultural elements do not seem forced in the story. To me, the are not a big part of the story at all. There has not been a particularly big emphasis on Dorthy and Adrian being Filipino. The story has focused more on the building relationship between them. For all I care, they could be European and the folklore could be based off of European gods. I really don't care what their race is.
5. Dorthy is not a relatable female protagonist to me. This is firstly because I am male. Secondly, I do not know a lot of people who put such a big emphasis on schooling and not on socializing. As far as I am concerned, socializing is just as important as school is. It seems unrealistic for Dorthy to be so unsocialized(this again relates to Twilight). I do not care that she is Filipino. As I said before, it does not really matter. I feel the only people who would consider it to be cool would be other Filipino people, if they are prideful for their ethnicity or something similar to that.
6. He is compelling. This is partially because in my opinion, he was not properly introduced. By the way, the introduction of the story needs to be changed. It is extremely cliche, and did not draw me into the book. The mystery revolving around his character does does make him compelling though.

Basically, I thought the book was fairly good, but it feels like another story of Twilight so far and Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Somehow, make the story feel more original and unique. This is critical, for me at least, in order to get readers attention to the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment